2016-2017 Music Director Candidate Finalists
The Illinois Symphony Orchestra Board of Directors are pleased to announce the names of the Music Director candidate finalists who will guest conduct two out of the eight 2016-2017 season concerts. The finalists were chosen after an extensive search process, which began in July 2015. The finalists are, in order of appearance:
- Vladimir Kulenovic: Music Director of the Lake Forest Symphony, Resident Conductor of the Belgrade Philharmonic, Serbia and former Associate Conductor of the Utah Symphony and Opera
- Andrew Sewell: Music Director of the Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra and former Music Director of the Wichita Symphony.
- Ken Lam: Music Director of the Charleston (S.C.) Symphony Orchestra, Associate Conductor for Education at Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, Resident Conductor at Brevard Music Center, Artistic Director of Hong Kong Voices and Associate Professor at Montclair State University
- Aram Demirjian: Associate Conductor of the Kansas City Symphony
The search process was led by co-chairs Roger Hunt of Bloomington, IL and Milton Sees of Springfield, IL, the search committee is comprised of ISO musicians, board members and community leaders from throughout central Illinois.
- "The search committee was extremely impressed by the level of candidates applying for our Music Director position with a diverse field representing five continents. Following an intensive review process, the search committee identified this impressive slate of finalists who will lead the orchestra during the 2016-2017 concert season." - Co-Chair Roger Hunt
- "We look forward to our central Illinois communities welcoming these exceptional candidates, who will not only lead the orchestra but will also be actively involved in community appearances, special events and education programs in both Bloomington/Normal and Springfield as part of the selection process." - Co-Chair Milton Sees
The search process is scheduled to culminate with the appointment of a new music director in the spring of 2017.